www.areyoukiddingme.com

Sometimes, life is sweet. Sometimes, life is fun. Sometimes, you're just like WTF?

Thursday, February 17, 2005

DEBT RELIEF!

OMFG! I am so happy right now! Actually, happy doesn't cover it... it's a combination of relief, elation, serenity, and the belief that things are going to turn out great, after all. My sister got a call today from the hospital I was hospitalized in way back in September. If you've been around for a long time, you know that I racked up an $18,000 bill in my short 3 day stay. I'm a student working 2 PT jobs and going to school full time... I totally don't have that kind of money.

So, these past 5 months, I've been really stressed out about it because I wasn't approved for MediCal, and I've been writing letters and sending documents to all sorts of low-income agencies in order to help me take care of that bill. I thought all hope was lost and have been seriously considering bankruptcy since the New Year. I would have rather had zero credit than be in debt for the rest of my life what with student loans AND the hospital bill.

Anyway, my sister got a call from the hospital saying that I was approved for my Charity Care application and that I owe NOTHING! :D Can you believe that?! :D I'm ecstatic. They said they'd even send me a letter to confirm it. I'm so happy! This means that I will only have to pay the outside agencies money (which amounts to only about $2,000) ;)

Since I didn't talk to the hospital myself, Chris thinks I should call them just to confirm that my sis has her facts straight. I'm wondering what I should do. Should I send them all a gift basket? A sincere letter of thanks? Or just thank them over the phone? I don't want to seem like I do have money, because I don't. However, I want to show my gratitude. Any suggestions? This has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders :) This has been the best day I've had in a long time :)

6 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM , Blogger JK said...

    Congratulations Q. That sounds great for you. I think a card with a letter is probably the best way to go. It says everything you want to, and you're not spending more money that you don't have. A letter is very personal too.

    It's a good day for you!

     
  • At 3:38 PM , Blogger Kis Lee said...

    have them fax you the confirmation letter or call them yourself.

    a card or letter should be enough. i've known quite a few people who've been turned down for charity applications (even though they clearly didn't have enough income to pay). a recent article said medical bills account for about 50% of personal bankruptcies.

    anyway just consider yourself one of the lucky ones and be happy you don't have to get bogged down in debt. today is a good day for you! enjoy!

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger grace said...

    congrats! :)

    i felt a huge sense of relief when i paid off all my debt, too :)

    being debt-free is fabulous :)

     
  • At 5:47 AM , Blogger peachy said...

    That's awesome Quyen!!
    I would send a note and hope that someone got it. That would make the people accepting the cases feel good about their job, I'm sure.

    Now you don't have to be on such a strict budget. Yeha!!

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger JK said...

    I know you are busy with school, not being in debt up to your eyeballs, and Chris.

    The masses need your wisdom, please post again.

     
  • At 9:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hah, get Q to do something like post her blog on a weekend? Hardly

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home