www.areyoukiddingme.com

Sometimes, life is sweet. Sometimes, life is fun. Sometimes, you're just like WTF?

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Cinnabon & Panda - Illustrious Superhero Team

On Sunday, Chris and I graded 31 papers in 6 hours! For any of you that have graded research papers (comments, checklists, grades and all), our average of 5 papers per hour is quite the superhuman feat! ;) In fact, it's a team record! :P After we were done, we took a break to relax and shake off the rigors of marathon grading before heading to Denny's for dinner. Even at Denny's, we managed to grade two more papers while we were eating and conversing over a strangely sweet discussion...

Chris got syrup all over his chin while stuffing a piece of French toast in his mouth and laughing at the same time, making him look like he was retarded (and trust me folks, he looked pret-ty retarded) :P and in response, a horrible thought crossed my mind... if Chris were retarded, would I still care for him? I went through the scenario in my mind and decided that if he were retarded, I'd still love him. Strangely enough, the way that he was smiling at me with syrup all over himself was incredibly sweet, endearing... and... well... retarded (but that's beside the point :P) What I discovered was that even though he may not have the mental capacity to talk politics or even the coordination to go bowling, what I found truly counted after all was his capacity to love...

And even now I get to thinking, "Is it possible that nature gives birth to all of us, even those of us who are impaired in various ways, with everything we need to live life?" "Could it be that, after all is said and done, we can live complete lives if we are nurtured by love and given the opportunity to love?" This must be how parents can love and interact with their retarded children... it doesn't so much matter if they are smart or strong or able... the only competency they need their children to have is the capacity for love... and one thing is true, even retarded children, whether human or calf, knows when they are loved and how to love those who love them in turn.

And in the end, I know that retardation ensures some of us do not survive, and that's not what I'm talking about... I'm talking about what's important when you take everything else away... I wouldn't marry someone who was brilliant, strong, and competent but lacked the ability to love and care for me... and conversely, I wouldn't abandon the person I love (and who loves me) just because they couldn't read, or jog, or talk... as long as they can love me and I can enjoy seeing how my love affects them, that's all I can ask for... So, I leave you with this: If Chris were retarded, we would still have eaten at that Denny's... and he might have still ordered that French toast... and I'd still feel like the most loved and luckiest woman alive just from seeing his syrup-covered grin beaming happily back at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home