www.areyoukiddingme.com

Sometimes, life is sweet. Sometimes, life is fun. Sometimes, you're just like WTF?

Monday, December 13, 2004

Why the Ice Queen loves teaching...

For people who don't know me very well (or at all), I come off as an icy bitch. I'm not very friendly. I'll scowl at people who stare at me. And I'll give the "Asian death stare" more times to one person in the mall than most asians do to everyone the whole week. I don't like being approached. I hate stupidity and ignorance. But worst of all, I'm jaded and don't think people deserve any credit for just being themselves. To me, you have to prove who you are; you don't just simply exist.

On the other hand, those who know me find me to be warm, sweet, compassionate, silly, playful, and intelligent. It's funny. Sometimes, I wonder how or why my friends got to be my friends in the first place if I'm so stand-offish to begin with. I once asked my guy friends if I was intimidating when they first met me. They all said they were scared of me (including my boyfriends!) Go figure... I guess I'm happy with the arrangement, though. I keep a very small circle of friends and I know all of them are there because not only are they good people, but they are real friends (meaning the guys don't want to get into my pants and the girls aren't out to fuck me over).

So why does the Ice Queen love teaching if she never smiles or laughs? Well, all that stuff I said earlier is reserved specifically for adults... I treat kids completely differently. Kids are open to learning - they thirst for knowledge. They haven't become true assholes - (they may be sensitive or needy, but they are not unbearable as long as you're willing to give them the attention that they desire). I really love teaching kids. It makes me happy to see them learn and get excited about learning. And it gives me a chance to be a role model, and all kids need good role models these days. I'm just glad I have a chance to impact these kids' lives in a positive way. :)

So, on Saturday, I went to teach lessons and the school I work at had a new student for me - a 5 y/o girl named Emma. Her dad came into the lesson to make sure things ran smoothly and I taught her how to handle and treat her instrument, hold the violin, and hold the bow - a lot for a 30 minute lesson! Anyway, I was teaching her to hold the violin using a pedagogical game called "Statue of Liberty" - Step 1 is where you hold the violin out in front of you like the Statue of Liberty holds her torch. So, here are some of the funniest moments:

Me: We're going to call this the Statue of Liberty! Do you know what the Statue of Liberty is?

Her: A statue. (Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. How freaking cute is that?!)

Me: *laughs* Yes, the Statue of Liberty IS a statue - very good! Do you know what the Statue of Liberty does? (I'm expecting a response like "holds a torch")

Her: Represents freedom. (WTF? She's 5 y/o! I was so amazed and surprised by this! LOL)

Me: Wow! That's a much deeper answer than I expected from a 5 y/o! Wow! You're so smart! I wish I could be as smart as you one day! :D

Her: *giggles*

Me: *referring back to the Statue of Liberty pose* So, who are you? (expecting "The Statue of Liberty")

Her: Emma.


How could you not be happy when you work with kids like this? :)

8 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger grace said...

    yeah. i could see how that would be cute... for like 5 mins...

    i don't know why, but these days, i'm just hating everyone. including kids. sheesh.

    and you thought you were the ice queen :P

     
  • At 3:29 PM , Blogger Oddgirl said...

    I'm glad you're enjoying teaching. Music was never an area that was stressed for me, but had I learned to play an instrument I can imagine how rigid it could be. I think people in general learn better when it's fun.

    If I could learn how to play any instrument, I think it would be the cello.

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger Yankeebob said...

    Strange how the description you wrote of yourself just doesn't seem to fit Quyen the blogger. You are obviously yourself when you post because I never would have associated 'icy bitch' with you.

    Kids can be fun. The ones that go home elsewhere, that is.

    I needed a teacher like you. I played the Viola for a year but my teacher was a dick, so I quit because of him. I told him one day after an excruciatingly boring lesson that I hated him and I wouldn't ever play another instrument again thanks to him. He got so mad he turned red and started yelling, but I left and didn't even take my instrument with me. Years later I've found I'm more suited to guitar anyway, but I sometimes think I'd like to see if I remember anything from the viola days.

     
  • At 6:00 AM , Blogger peachy said...

    Emma sounds adorable.
    I played the violin in elementary and middle school, and it would've been awesome if our teacher made lessons fun. A lot of kids in my class took private lessons and played for junior symphonies, so classtime for those that sucked was just time to eat candy and goof off in the back. We sat in the section called 'everyone else', not first or second chair. Such memories.

     
  • At 8:18 AM , Blogger Jer said...

    I started violin lessons when I was five as well -- and I still vividly remember my teacher. She had a very large mole right above her mouth, and I used to stare at it while she was talking to me. It was almost hypnotic, that mole.

     
  • At 11:13 AM , Blogger Kis Lee said...

    i agree with yankeebob. i can't picture you as the ice queen.

    i, too, have mastered the asian death stare. it must be in the genes.

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Really? I didn't find you intimidating. You were supposed to come off as intimidating? I'm sorry there's just something non-intimidating about taking you out to see Rocky Horror, eating gummy bears in your car, and talking at Denny's until 5AM on the first outting we had.

    Of course, you're not nearly as interesting now. Nowadays you're all dinner and video games.

    As far as Emma, she sounds like she's a smart ass in the best possible way. I think she's outfoxed you.

     
  • At 10:05 AM , Blogger Quyen said...

    Yeah, I guess gummi bears don't scream intimidating. Man, that was when I was on Atkins! Those gummi bears were so damned good! Maybe it's because Atkins gave me more energy... I dunno :P

    And hey! Are you saying you don't like dinners and video games? C'mon now... I'm still as fun... just not as exciting :P Exciting things require money... I need a sugar daddy :P

    (Gaigan) Gynocologist! Bwahahahahaha! :D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home