www.areyoukiddingme.com

Sometimes, life is sweet. Sometimes, life is fun. Sometimes, you're just like WTF?

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I love soymilk!

It is so delicious and nutritious! When I was little, I used to hate all asian food (even though I was forced to eat it all the time) I remember hating it so much that I would ask to leave the table to go poo, and I would take my plate of food with me saying that I would eat while on the pot... Well, I'd get in the bathroom and then flush it down the toilet! Then I'd come back with an empty plate and be like, "mmmm, all done!" I did this all the time with liver and onions (yuck!) There can't be any dish worse than liver and onions... I don't understand why it's so popular...

Anyway, I remember driving in the car with my mom and she'd make me suck on dried squid shreds... which, interestingly enough, wasn't that bad... it had this salty, "from the sea" taste hehe I remember hating coconut milk with the coconut flesh inside the cup... I remember my mom would freeze that shit and take it with her like a frozen Capri-Sun or something... I never understood how my parents could eat asian food... there is this one Vietnamese sauce that smells like ass... like it permeates the whole room! And my parents would just sit there and dip shit in it like it was so tasty... I always knew when they made that sauce... it smelled like rotting chickens... blegh!

The funny thing is that I LOVE asian food now (the food of my people hehe) I could live and die just eating Korean BBQ or sushi or pho or pad thai... just the thought of lumpia, dim sum, or Mongolian fire meat makes my mouth water! I used to think of the asian grocery store as the "ghetto store"... all that fish laying out in the open... but good lord do they have a variety of foods you'd never find in any other store! When you think of it, there are like 30 kinds of seafood on ice at all times! Mmmm... I just had some gyozas and some soymilk... life is good ;)

9 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM , Blogger grace said...

    i only like the vanilla soymilk that you buy in the non-asian markets.

    my mom's got this soymilk you only buy in asian stores and that just makes me want to hurl. yuck. they come in green boxes with little drawings of soybeans on them. i hate that crap.

     
  • At 2:21 PM , Blogger Quyen said...

    Haha... I'll admit it... I get my soymilk from Trader Joe's ;)

     
  • At 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nothing kills my appetite like a list of Quyens favorites. *gags*

     
  • At 7:11 PM , Blogger Kis Lee said...

    i *love* asian food, but i've never really liked soymilk. gyozas, pad thai, pho...mmmmm, all yummy good stuff. i used to eat those dried squid things with beer. Yum.

     
  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger Oddgirl said...

    I'm with Grace on the vanilla soy milk. The first time I went into an Asian market I thought I was going to gag. It smelled like rotten fish. I later found the market had a lot of diverse ingredients. I still can't bring myself to try the century egg though.(((shudders)))

     
  • At 10:59 AM , Blogger Chris said...

    Grace is right on about those little green soy boxes. yegh! yegh squared! They were so popular my last year of college. On a side note, researchers recently found that soy milk unleashes the equivlanet of a chemical hell in a guy's blood system and makes him more irritable and prone to spontaneous anger. So.....I guess there's another reason to stay away from it.

    Points to Adam for being the first one to say Q's choice of tasty treats unsettles his stomach. Right there with you. The thought of some of the foods she listed makes me recoil in horror. - recoils - Then of course, I yearn for some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups just to make the bad thoughts go away. damn, I want some now.

    Now, I understand it's the food of your people, but does that necessarily have to mean it's good? I mean, there are people in Africa who eat insects on a daily basis. The way I see it, people thousands of years ago were forced to eat whatever was available to them - anything's better than death by starvation. So, they've got this whole selection of gross foods, right? But then they start ranking them. Which is not so nasty, all the way to which is definitely the nastiest. Pretty soon, they're convinced the least nasty food is actually tasty. Ask an archaeologist, or anthropologist how fun eating in remote areas is.

    As for "my" people, I stand by my theory. Some of their food tastes so wrong it must have been created out of necessity. You can't tell me guacamole ice cream is a good thing, but when your other choices include biria and marrow ice cream, what else can you do but start ranking them and take the best?

    As for the potty incidents, Quyen, you've got to ask your momma about that. Did she honestly think you were eating on the toilet? What kind of kid craps and eats at the same time? I would expect the smell to kill off any vestige of an appetite. And, my question would be, "why does my daughter always have to crap? Does she have a digestive illness? Am I a poor cook? Is my daughter washing her hands? OMG! Is my daughter eating food with poopy hands?" So, your mommy either thought you were a very strange and nasty daughter, who liked the combination of food and poop, or she was just trying to be nice.

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

    I had many questions about the whole poo/food thing, but I think Chris just about covered them all...hee hee...too funny!

     
  • At 3:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    asian food is the best!! i've been to pho king (huh huh) every other day for the past two weeks. it's almost as good as korean food (the food of my people..) but i think another favorite of mine is ethiopian food.

    it's just a matter of taste and what you are willing to try.

     
  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger grace said...

    yeah. chris covered 'em all.... hehe...

    and yeah. i love the korean food, too. even if some of that stuff is effed up. i just don't eat those. :P

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home