www.areyoukiddingme.com

Sometimes, life is sweet. Sometimes, life is fun. Sometimes, you're just like WTF?

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Self Worth for Dummies, Part II

well, if you're going to read this, you might as well read this.

Moving right along...

The obese girl has learned "learned helplessness" (like the baby elephant), the idea that she must change in order to be "normal", or some combination of both of these things. At the root of these feelings is the idea that they are inadequate. "If I lose weight, people will like me more." "No one likes me because I'm fat." These are statements where feelings of inadequacy prevail and thus, lends to a desire to prove something to others or oneself. "I'll show them. I'll lose weight and then they'll see I'm just like them." "There's no use in trying to be friendly. It never works anyway." In one case, the person feels inadequate and wants to prove to others that they are, in fact, adequate. In the other, the person feels inadequate but feels helpless to effect change. So, feelings of inadequacy lend themself to the need to prove something to others or oneself.

Therein lies the vicious cycle. The person trying to lose weight is only feeding the idea that she is not okay how she is - lack of self-worth. The person who doesn't see the sense in trying has accepted that there is something wrong with her - lack of self-worth. And if the person has a mix of these feelings, then they're in serious trouble. But you see, the more the person tries to lose weight, the more they tell themself that being how they are is not acceptable. And the more the person accepts that there is nothing they can do can change her situation, the more they will tell themself that there's something inherently wrong with who they are. It's a vicious cycle, and it's hard to get out of... But there is a way...

People need to accept that they are okay just the way they are. They have to know for themselves that who and what they are is acceptable. They have to let go of the feelings of inadequacy through deciding not to try to prove themselves. One of the things I realized was that I was always trying to be better to prove to someone else that I was good enough, smart enough, fast enough, skinny enough, sexy enough, kind enough, etc... And as long as I tried, I was telling myself that who I was was never going to be adequate.

It was my fault that I felt this way because I should have seen that who I am is acceptable and enough for me... and that is all that matters. I learned that I don't need the approval of other people to know that I'm good enough, because I am. I discovered that if someone doesn't believe that you are adequate enough, then that's their problem. If they don't think that you are adequate just the way you are, then that's not a relationship you need to have, whether it's your boss, your friend, or your wife.

So, to the obese girl, I would say, "You're okay just the way you are. If they don't think so, then that's their problem. As long as you're okay with yourself, then that's perfectly fine. Stop caring what other people think. Do things because you want them for you, not because you are trying to please someone else. You have no obligation to anyone but yourself." :)

21 Comments:

  • At 12:55 PM , Blogger Jenn & John said...

    The sad truth is that everyone goes through this cycle. Although, some more than others. The most difficult part of the cycle is we are our worst critic and finding happiness within ourselves is by far the greatest task we will ever have in our life.

     
  • At 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with Jenn completely. However, I have a disagreement to express. Not all desire to change for others is unhealthy, especially when the current action taken is highly detrimental to your health.

    I think a lot of our poor choices (drug use, choosing to stay in an abusive relationship, or even nutrition for the girl in Quyen's example) stems from an problem someplace else that has not been dealt with.

    That undealt problem needs to be dealt with before a person can really heal or change.

     
  • At 5:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh no! We're back at Refutation Junction. 'Anonymous' run! Soon the acolytes will descend upon you. j/k Although I agree with you, anonymous, as to the dangers of not listening to what other people have to say, especially when they're commenting on serious social, emotional, or behavioral problems, I think this is more of an extreme than the reality.

    I'm not too worried that Quyen or anyone else trying to create their own self-worth is going to suddenly stop listening to what others have to say. After all, they're where they are because they're so good at listening.

    What Quyen is saying is that the metaphorical elephants out there, or the fat girl in this case, just need to tone down how much they allow themselves to be swayed by others. They need to exercise caution and restraint in this arena. Yes, it's okay to take into consideration what others have to say, but it's not okay to derive your self-worth from others, to act and respond to life only as a means of fulfilling others expectations.

    No one can please everyone all of the time, and being stuck in a pattern where you live to please is destructive, as Quyen points out. People who are always trying to please easily lose sight of who they are, and become no one in particualr -a shape-shifter, like Mystique, unable to recall who she once was or what she stood for.

    Joke of the day: Young lady, you have obligations to our lord and savior Jesus Christ almighty. How can you deny his gifts and love?

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Blogger Quyen said...

    Holy Shit! TWO Anonymouses... I think I shall call you guys the Anonymi from now on ;) But which of you, praytell, is the original, hateful, neighborhood, Anonymous... hmnn... :P hehehe :D

     
  • At 6:00 PM , Blogger Quyen said...

    Oh! A disclaimer for the first of the Anonymi ;) I'm assuming people won't be doing things that aren't considered natural human behavior such as eating their own children, making clothes from human skin, throwing themselves into oncoming traffic, or eating shit, thinking it's chocolate... hehehe :P

     
  • At 6:42 PM , Blogger peachy said...

    If you can't love yourself, who's going to love you?
    That's a quote I always say to myself. You have to look out for #1 first and foremost; the rest comes naturally.

     
  • At 9:35 AM , Blogger Kis Lee said...

    oh man, i'm constantly on the am i good enough/smart enough/thin enough etc. cycle. constantly. now that i'm 28, i added am i young enough to the mix. it's a vicious cycle...sigh.

     
  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger Yankeebob said...

    I guess I've been *kinda* lucky in that I've never been too self aware. Most times when I would make an ass of myself, I didn't notice until maybe a long time after. Or if I didn't quite fit in, it would take someone almost beating me in the head to realize that there was something I was missing. Even after, I didn't take it too seriously.

    This is not to say I haven't experienced feeling inadequate. I believe everyone does. My Mother had (has) a way of helping those feelings along very well. I guess I got thick skin thanks to her.

    I love the way you've written these last 2 posts. (Actually I visit here pretty often. I don't remember if I've commented before.) Your sensitivity toward the obese girl is sweet and the introspective way you've expressed your personal 'lesson learned' is very open and honest.

     
  • At 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    >But which of you, praytell, is the original, hateful, neighborhood, Anonymous... hmnn... :P hehehe :D

    She's just upset because I made her buy sushi last night.

    >A disclaimer for the first of the Anonymi ;) I'm assuming people won't be doing things that aren't considered natural human behavior such as eating their own children, making clothes from human skin, throwing themselves into oncoming traffic, or eating shit, thinking it's chocolate... hehehe :P

    Well that's nice. It's good to know that the ingestion of fecal matter is still a sad replacement for cocoa. However, I was talking about destructive behavior closer to what I said before (e.g. drug use, staying in an abusive relationship, eating to cope with stress, etc). These are still things where an 'intervention' would be a good thing, and the opinions of others should matter.

     
  • At 10:58 AM , Blogger Quyen said...

    Hey Anonymous... When I said unnatural human behavior, I was really saying: We aren't born wanting to abuse our bodies with drugs, our safety with an abusive relationship, etc... Can you imagine how high the infant mortality rate would be if we did naturally think like that? LOL Talk about Darwinism! :P

     
  • At 6:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ultimately I've found that I was the most unhappy when I thought that my issues made me a bad person; every single time I tried and failed to address them I just ended up feeling frustrated and even more angry at myself.

    I think the thing that would make the biggest difference to many unhappy people (and it certainly made a difference to me) is to just relax and realise that sometimes you're going to be in a bad place - sometimes you'll do things that make you or others feel bad, like eat too much, or freeze out your loved ones, or have a series of one-night-stands, or whatever.

    The moment you decide you can live with being fat or alcohol-dependent or hard-hearted or needy, at least for a little while until you've sorted out other issues, it takes all that pressure off and it gets much easier to be honest with yourself, because you're not hiding your so-called faults from yourself or others. When you're able to be completely honest, you're in just the right position to work out what you are, what you really want for yourself (ie, not what others tell you that you should want), and how to get there.

    By the way, does anyone else see the irony in the title "Self Worth for Dummies"? ;) Loving it.

    Cheers
    Fran

     
  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger grace said...

    my comment was going to be about how self-worth for dummies was a funny ass title and it made me giggle... but anonymous beat me to the punch. fucker! reveal yourself! it will be a duel. at dawn. at the dairy queen.

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Err...Grace? That anonymous was Fran. She signed the blog and put a link at the bottom...

     
  • At 11:39 AM , Blogger grace said...

    oh, snap. i missed that. fine. fran can meet me at the dairy queen :P

     
  • At 12:53 PM , Blogger Calvin said...

    well said Quyen. very well said. by the way, how is the job thing working out? all the best! :-))

     
  • At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good Grace, because this anonymous is only a morning person because I work then. Otherwise I refute the existance of AM.

     
  • At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey grace, no way I'm meeting you at the dairy queen when I can run rings around you here. :P

    (err, likely as not you'd kick my wobbly ass back into thursday)

    Nyaaaahhh!
    Fran

     
  • At 2:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, since Fran's being a wuss...I say we:

    1) Change the time of the duel to dusk

    I'll drag Fran out to the dairy queen if Grace treats everyone to a post faceoff ice cream cone.

     
  • At 4:34 PM , Blogger Quyen said...

    LOL You guys are hilarious! :P

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger grace said...

    hehe. i might be little, but i'm mean :P

    hehehe. at any rate, okay. i'll treat everyone to a little DQ :P

    i think i can fit that into my budget! :P

    fuck. i can't even remember what the duel was about!

     
  • At 6:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Let's skip the duel and eat icecream! Dairy queen might be a bit of a stretch for me though, unless through some lucky twist of corporate fraud I find a world-trip ticket in the mail..

    OK, I'm hankering for icecream now..I think I'll trot down to the shop and get one of these lovelies.. and remind myself that I don't have to be thin for anyone!Cher
    Fran

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home