www.areyoukiddingme.com

Sometimes, life is sweet. Sometimes, life is fun. Sometimes, you're just like WTF?

Friday, January 07, 2005

Serving Sizes Are So Jacked

Not that I'm counting calories or anything, but the way they tally nutritional information for packages is just dumb. To me, serving size should mean "the size of a (sufficient) serving" - "sufficient" being of an amount that satisfies you. This leads to two complaints against serving sizes:

They are not filling enough - Take pasta, for example. When you go to the restaurant, you get a nice big plate of fettucine alfredo... Mmmmmm! :) You may finish 1/2 of that plate and take the rest home if you're a small eater - That's 2 servings. Now go to the store and pick up a box of pasta... the serving size is 2 ounces... what is that? like 8-10 noodles? Sorry. That's not a sufficient serving. I don't know who could eat 2 ounces of pasta and call it a satisfying meal. I mean, what were they thinking? This is how they trick dieters into counting calories, and it's also the reason why people who count calories are always so fucking hungry!

It doesn't make sense when it comes to the packaging - Remember 12 oz soda cans? They used to be marked as having 1.5 servings in them. That's gross. What? Am I gonna drink my one serving and then give the other 1/2 to my friend? hahaha :P But seriously. The nutrition people know they're gonna fucking drink the whole can. Even a dieter has no real way of telling if there's 1/3 of the soda left in the can to save for the extra 1/2 a serving. And really? Who saves warm soda for later? Yuck. Same with the 20 oz. bottles... they have 2.5 servings! Better find two friends to share with ;)

8 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger Kis Lee said...

    i'm counting my calories as well, and i know exactly what you mean. 3 chips does not equal a "serving size." i also don't like the fact that their %ages are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. depending on your height/weight, 2,000 calories can be a lot.

    i'm hungry. mmmmm...pasta!

     
  • At 4:34 PM , Blogger Chris said...

    I know what you mean. I just bought twelve large pizzas from Costco and the packaging says each is about five servings! Five servings? That's one serving my friend, and if I'm hungry, it's half a serving.

    What about the tall Pringle's cans? They each say they have six servings at 160 calories a pop. Why not be honest and say one serving: 960 calories. They know I'm eating the whole can, maybe two on a good day.

    That's why serving size doesn't mean "the size of a sufficent serving." Imagine if they based a sufficent serving size on my eating habits. One serving would be two cans of Pringles, two pizzas, or twenty chicken mcnuggets.

    Or, imagine the difficulty in trying to create serving sizes that would be safe to eat (not make you fat). Some people have a Happy Meal and weigh in at 220 pounds. I have candy and soda for breakfast, and pizza or super-sized meals for lunch, yet I'm nowhere near 220 pounds. :P

    I guess we'll just have to put up with weird servinng sizes and simple math for now. oh, the humanity.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger grace said...

    MMMM. i'm hungry.

    i'm going to eat my 2 serving scone now. :D

     
  • At 3:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks like Quyen has run off again.

    Heh, I'm a poet and didn't know it.

    Scooby doo! Where are you?
    Jean

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Υou mаde sοme rеally good pοints thегe.

    I сhecked on the web to find out mοre abοut the iѕsue аnd fοund most
    inԁivіԁualѕ will go along wіth your vіews on thіs wеbsite.


    My ωeb blog - coffee pure Cleanse gnc

     
  • At 4:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and sеe if the рroblеm still exiѕts.


    My web sitе: coffee pure cleanse Walmart

     
  • At 5:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's nearly impossible to find educated people in this particular subject, however, you seem like you know what you're tаlkіng abοut!
    Thаnκs

    Revіew my ωeb-sіte :: coffee pure cleanse free trial

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Howdy just wantеd tο gіve
    you a brief headѕ up and let you know a
    feω οf the imаges aren't loading correctly. I'm
    not ѕure why but I thіnk іts a linking iѕsue.
    І've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

    Feel free to visit my weblog: Car Insurance Quotes

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home